Submitted by Carol Tomlinson RN BS
Community Health Educator
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR HOLIDAYS SAFE & FUN
Every year, we look forward to a wonderful holiday season with friends and family. Holidays can be a great time of the year if we are careful and plan ahead. However, each year the holidays end up being one of the busiest times for Emergency Rooms. Rushing, stress and unpredictable weather all play their part.
This year, the American College of Emergency Room Physicians and the Hope Health Newsletter have developed tips from decorating to dining that can help to keep your holidays safe as well as fun!
1. Check all fireplaces, heaters and stoves for proper ventilation. Install a carbon monoxide
detector and smoke detector if you don’t have them in your home. Check the batteries if
you do have these devices.
2. When hanging decorations, always have someone hold the ladder for you and use the proper
3. Use a pair of scissors instead of a razor blade or other sharp object to open boxes.
4. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the turkey and other meats are cooked thoroughly.
Refrigerate leftovers immediately.
5. To prevent fires or shock, avoid overloading electrical outlets.
6. Secure trees and other decorations so that they can’t fall or be pulled down by children or pets.
7. If you have high blood pressure or other heart problems, don’t overindulge in holiday food,
and limit your salt intake.
8. Avoid shoveling snow if you are out of shape or have a history of heart problems.
9. Drink only in moderation and, if you do drink, please have a designated driver bring you home.
10. If you give a bike, skateboard or similar gift, make sure the child has a helmet—or include one
as part of the gift.
Follow these common sense tips to make this holiday season a safe and healthy one.
The staff of HealthLink Littauer wishes you joy and peace during this special time of the year!
For more information on health and wellness, you can call us at 736-1120, e-mail us at email@example.com, see our website at www.nlh.org, or visit our wellness center at 213 Harrison Street Ext. in Johnstown, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. We’re celebrating 20 years of being your community health & wellness service of Nathan Littauer Hospital and Nursing Home.