The healthcare organization announced that they would continue to follow guidance from the New York State Department of Health. They have allowed some visitation for: special considerations related to pediatric patients, women undergoing childbirth, patients for whom a support person has been determined to be essential to the care of the patient (medically necessary), and patients in imminent end-of-life and compassionate exceptions.
Earlier in the week, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo released a document in accordance with the New York State Department of Health, allowing hospitals to begin visitation. In that document, he also stated that hospitals may decide when to initiate expanded visitation based on their current volume of COVID-19 patients, staffing to screen visitors, personal protective equipment, and other resources. Nathan Littauer Hospital & Nursing Home has made the decision to delay opening up general visitation.
The current visitation procedures remains unchanged to the following:
- Maternity patients: can have one designated visitor.
- Disabled individuals: (Lexington and Liberty) are allowed one sitter.
- Imminent end-of-life situations: visitation will be at the discretion of the Nursing Supervisor and will be prearranged.
- Pediatric patients: One support person essential to patient care in the emergency room or during hospitalization is allowed. In these settings, especially with prolonged hospitalizations, you may designate two support people which alternate visitation. Only one support person may be present at a time. This restriction must be explained to the patient’s family/support system in plain terms, upon arrival or, ideally, prior to arriving at the hospital. In the event of the pediatric patient, the family/caregiver must fully understand this restriction. Individuals age 60 years or older, are not encouraged to be support persons at this time due to increased risk of morbidity with COVID-19 infection.
- The Nursing Home will continue a no visitation policy.
Otherwise, no other visitation will be allowed at this time.