Submitted by Sue Cridland, RN BSN
Director of Community Education
Breast Cancer Awareness…
And A Call To Action!
Every October, Nathan Littauer’s Family of Health Services is proud to participate in National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The goal is to increase awareness about the importance of breast screening. But, more importantly, we want to call women (and men) to action. After all, it’s not the awareness but the action that follows that can make a difference in your health…and life!
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), breast cancer is THE most common cancer found in women, and the second leading cause of cancer death in women (second only to lung cancer). About 1 in 8 women born today in the United States will get breast cancer at some point. The American Cancer Society reports that the incidence is 1 in 1000 for men, so much less common but a very real threat.
Although those statistics can seem scary, the good news is that the earlier breast cancer is found and treated, the better the chance of survival.
So this year, YES – become more aware…but PLEASE – answer the call to action!
- Women and men alike should talk to their health care provider about their personal risk of developing breast cancer.
- If you are a woman age 40 to 49, talk with your doctor about when to start getting mammograms and how often to get them.
- If you are a woman age 50 to 74, be sure to get a mammogram at least every 2 years. Again, talk to your doctor about your risk for breast cancer, especially if a close family member of yours has had breast or ovarian cancer. Your doctor can help you decide when and how often to get mammograms.
We KNOW you want to be there for your family…so what are YOUR excuses?
- Not enough time? Littauer’s Mammography Centers in Gloversville and Perth offer appointments starting at 7 a.m., and special evening hours are available as well. It only takes 30 minutes of your time, from start to finish!
- Concerned about discomfort? Our compassionate technologists have decades of experience, and our state of the art technology is the best. Any discomfort is minimal and over before you know it!
- No insurance coverage? Littauer is a partner in a free cancer screening program through the New York State Department of Health which covers breast, cervical and colorectal screenings! For details, call the Cancer Services Program at 841-3726.
Remember…early detection IS the best protection!
For more information, contact HealthLink Littauer at 736-1120. You can e-mail us at email@example.com, see our website at nlh.org, or visit our wellness center at 213 Harrison Street Ext. in Johnstown, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. We’re your community health & wellness service of Nathan Littauer Hospital and Nursing Home.